GLib/GObject+C as the lingua franca?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jul 27 01:55:20 BST 2008

On Saturday 26 July 2008, nf2 wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Friday 25 July 2008, nf2 wrote:
> >> I wonder if a kind of mixed style would work: libraries with public
> >> GObject/C APIs, but internally stdc++.
> >
> > the phrase "disgustingly ugly" comes to mind.
>
> Why? I think a lot of things that are tiring with plain C - like
> strings, containers and garbage collection might be a bit easier with a
> bit of C++.

so write in C++ but hobble it with an API designed to make up for C's
shortcomings? that's what i meant by "disgustingly ugly"

> Let's take the KDE desktop environment as an example: Because it's all
> monolithic Qt/C++ the whole infrastructure had to be ported from Qt3 to
> Qt4 as well.

it isn't monolithic anymore, and neither is Qt. nor does Qt have any near term
scheduled changes.

so if you feel that the Qt3 issues were bad, you're a few years too late to be
complaining about them. Qt4 is a different animal.

> So when you run a KDE3 app on KDE4 you actually have two
> desktop environments running (with all the daemons etc). Good? Or
> wouldn't it be better if "the platform" could move at a slower/different
> pace?

besides the current state not really mapping to what you describe here all
(look at HAL and it's proposed replacement), we made a lot of decisions to
help make this "slow/different" pace possible.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se