Trialing KDE on bzr

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Jul 20 20:38:50 BST 2008

On Sunday 20 July 2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> But we *can* decide on something. I made a proposal, Oswald made a
> different proposal. I think mine is workable: the split is at the tarball
> level (each main KDE module, plus koffice; kdesupport, extragear,
> playground and review are all "a collection of applications/libraries"
> each packaged individually and must build alone).

I find it quite convenient that right now I can do an update/commit of
complete KDE/.

> I see no technical reason to not switch to a DVCS. There's a lot of people
> who want to have a DVCS -- many are already using one. What's stopping us
> now is inertia and having people to do the actual conversion work.

Inertia sounds so negative...
IMHO right now we need to concentrate on getting KDE4 into a shape where it
can be a full replacement for 3.5, feature and stabilitywise. We're not there
yet.
Switching a major component as the VCS wouldn't help with this right now but
slow things down. So I'd say we shouldn't consider switching the VCS before
KDE 4.2 or 4.3 is released.

Alex

P.S. I'd prefer hg: easy to use, there is a hg book, and there are nice GUIs
for it, e.g. TortoiseHg