Idea: SkipDirtyOnIdenticalValues WriteConfigFlag for KConfigBase / KConfig

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Jul 17 22:40:01 BST 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:28:54PM -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>> also, the description is (or should be) "ensure that no local value
>> exists if it matches the system default" - so changes in the system
>> default can take effect.
>
> Terrible idea. Entries should not be deleted just because the saved
> value now matches the default; that would lead to unexpected behavior.

hmm. i suppose.

> I don't understand what you think is needed.

i don't, either. :)

for one, i got mixed up with the explicit option to restore (and
keep) the system default - but that's what revertToDefault() is
suposed to be for (it's broken - see todo). nobody uses that anyway. :-/

the use case for the behavior you propose seems to be a normal config
dialog (without the explicit "use system default" options) whose
underlying code is too lazy to track whether a user actively changed a
value.
i'm not sure such an automation is a good idea, in any interactive
context.
apart from that, kconfigXT is supposed to do such tracking already, i
think.

more real use cases?

Confusion, chaos, panic - my work here is done.