Idea: SkipDirtyOnIdenticalValues WriteConfigFlag for KConfigBase / KConfig

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Tue Jul 15 06:44:23 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 06:44:08PM -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>> almost: what if there is currently a local value written which
>> matches the default? i think it would be deleted,
>
> No, write is not destructive. If the entry already contains 'value',
> the  write(v,d) call is a no-op. It doesn't change dirty, it doesn't
> delete  the value already there. Why should it be deleted?

because otherwise you never know which state it will be in.
also, the description is (or should be) "ensure that no local value
exists if it matches the system default" - so changes in the system
default can take effect.
one might add yet another function for a non-destructive write (probably
as a flag to the destructive one), but i'm not sure what the purpose of
it would be.

Confusion, chaos, panic - my work here is done.