Idea: SkipDirtyOnIdenticalValues WriteConfigFlag for KConfigBase / KConfig

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sat Jul 12 14:21:19 BST 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 04:02:25PM -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> writeEntry(value) -- always writes if empty, don't set dirty if
> unchanged (same as current behavior I think, sans gratuitous dirtying?)
>
> writeEntry(value, default) -- don't write if current is empty and
> value==default, otherwise as above

... default obviously being cascaded with the system configs.
makes sense.

> The latter is especially needed because the default may not be constant

kconfig cannot know the hard-coded default by other means anyway, so
there is no "especially".

> (e.g. kate defaults are related to the current system color scheme)

as you note yourself, the kate example is pretty pointless due to the
need to make the writeout decision en block. ;)

Confusion, chaos, panic - my work here is done.