very large data files

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Jul 11 15:52:40 BST 2008

Jason Harris wrote:
>How big a file is acceptable to distribute via GHNS?  75MB, 750MB,
>7.5GB?  None of these?
>How big a file is acceptable to host on kde.org for download?

We have quite big files available for download there -- namely, our
packages.

But you shouldn't be asking how big a file is for serving from our
servers. You should be asking how big a download can be before it's not
acceptable for users.

I'd say 75 MB is at the limit already. Bigger than that and people will
not download it. You'd have to provide it in smaller chunks, to be
downloaded as needed.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358