Consensus on the kdelibs coding style

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Jul 10 23:43:27 BST 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 01:28:53PM -0400, Maksim Orlovich wrote:
> >> But I doubt that it will be really useful, as the membership isn't
> >> maintaining kdelibs, so you won't get a very meaningful result.
> >>
> > as in other cases, the e.v. membership is the best representation of
> > concerned people we have.
>
> Just because it's the best representation doesn't mean it's good
> representation. The reality is that the e.V. selection procedures are
> biased against coding contributors,
> [...]
> And notice, the membership questionnaire asks for a purpose for being an
> e.V. member.
> [...]
> If it's meant to be representative, it can't ask that question, since
> then membership --- or rather voting rights --- would have to be an
> inherent right of any contributor (whatever "contributor" means).

i might get shot by certain bureaucrats in the e.v. for saying this, but
i think it *is* an inherent right of any long-term contributor to join
the e.v.  while the formal procedure needed to join is becoming
increasingly ridiculous over the years, the fact that no actual
long-term contributor has ever been rejected speaks a clear language.
as such, i consider the e.v. sufficiently representative for the given
purpose. duck principle, see?

> Oh, and having a representation does not mean you have authority over
> people. If 95% of people in my town were to decree that I should wear
> pink clothing at home, would that make it a valid decision? I think
> not.

what a most inappropriate analogy. the clothing you wear at home hardly
concerns anyone but you - totally unlike the code you put in kdelibs.

> Really, if you think different indentation is a pain, I'd suggest you
> write a little script [...]
yes ... solving social problems by technical means. because it has
proven *so* effective about each time it was applied, be it in projects
or countries.

Confusion, chaos, panic - my work here is done.