requiring cmake 2.6

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jul 9 22:16:56 BST 2008

On 09.07.08 23:01:56, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have now a KDE 4.1 branch and trunk is going to become 4.2.
> In 4.1 we require cmake 2.4.5.
> The current cmake release 2.6.0, 2.6.1 will follow soon.
> 2.6.0 has some nice features which we would like to use in KDE, like
> -building library frameworks on OSX
> -being able to specify the link interface libraries (reduced dependencies for
> packagers, this one is important)
> -support for cross compiling
> -several small things, like faster installing, shorter delay after typing
> make, etc.

I can't say that the delay after "make" is shorter - it still feels too
long. But the install-speed is awesome, in fact KDevelop4 outputviews
can't cope with the speed the install-output comes in :)

> Are there already distributions coming with cmake 2.6.0 ?

The next debian release will have cmake 2.6, the current stable ships
with 2.4.5. I'm not sure about the release dates, but I think they're
aiming for "sometime late this year".

> If there are no objections, I'd like to require cmake 2.6.0 for trunk starting
> August 4th, so there would be almost 4 weeks left to update.

+1 from here, AFAIK quite some people already build with cmake 2.6 and
apparently there are no technical problems. Apart from that: You missed
that we can (hopefully) drop a few FindXXX modules from kdelibs (I know
for sure FindBoost.cmake can be dropped) when we require cmake 2.6

Andreas

--
You will gain money by a fattening action.