Consensus on the kdelibs coding style

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Jul 6 10:05:01 BST 2008

On Sunday 06 July 2008, Fela Winkelmolen wrote:
> What about the following policy:
> [1] Why the Qt style? Why not? I chose it because it's what is currently
> suggested on techbase, else we could make a pool to chose the suggested
> style.

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from ;-)
Sorry, SCNR ;-)

While especially the placement of the braces is quite significant for the
readability of sources IMO (I'm used to braces on there own lines since ever,
both indented and not indented braces) and one can have a quite hard time
reading the other style (i.e. the one the developer is not used to), this is
actually what makes it important to standardize this point.

> Also Qt/K&R style seem to be the only style used that has somewhat
> been formalized, all other styles could be described as personal style of
> person X.

There are many detailled coding styles available, if we want a slightly more
detailled version than the one from Lubos we could go for this one:
http://www.research.att.com/~bs/JSF-AV-rules.pdf ;-)

Alex