Consensus on the kdelibs coding style

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Sat Jul 5 20:55:10 BST 2008

On Sat 5 July 2008 20:25:19 Maksim Orlovich wrote:
> > this discussion was had quite thoroughly, including on this list. this is
> > the
> > one point there was broad consensus on, in fact. restarting conversations
> > evern N months is not useful, and we have mailing list archives for this
> > purpose.

When this was discussed previously, I didn't think to question the
desirability of relatively detailed coding rules. I happen to have had the
new (to me) thought that this isn't actually necessary. That's why I voiced
this opinion. Or is that not allowed?

> If it's a broad consensus, why are there so many disagreements, and why
> you telling people who disagree to shut up?
>
> May be the reason there is so much disagreement again and again is that
> coding style is the matter of personal preference, and people dislike it
> being forced on them?

KDE is a free software project. Beyond setting some basic rules, why can't
freedom apply to coding style as well, especially since it's something that a
lot of people have strong (and divergent) views about. AFAICS, the only
justification for an official coding style is to ensure code is readable.
That doesn't require detailed rules.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.