Consensus on the kdelibs coding style

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sat Jul 5 17:45:30 BST 2008

On Saturday 05 July 2008 07:13:33 am Thiago Macieira wrote:
> The major point is actually deciding on the "4 spaces, NO TABS"
> (capitalisation mine, but should be there). Tabs are inherently evil and
> should be banned altogether, to the point of warranting a wide-reaching
> tab-replacement commit (svn can now ignore whitespace changes in
> annotation, git has been able to do it for years).

Of all the style war battles, this is the only one I really care about. Tabs
are 8 spaces wide by default, yet certain editors insist on one tab per level
of indent. Almost as evil as tabs is the mixed mode indentation that some
other editors use.

As for other stylistic rules, I would argue for a more laissez faire approach.
I would rather have guidelines than commandments.

--
David Johnson