Firefox and mime type handling is gconf specific :-(

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Jul 1 20:54:32 BST 2008

On Tuesday 01 July 2008, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 7:11 AM, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 01 July 2008, Dan Kegel wrote:
> > > Overheard at work:
> > > "It looks like Firefox 3 made the decision to query the OS for mime /
> > > url handling. For instance, if we set the default picasa:// url
> > > handler in GConf, then Firefox 3 knows what to do. The problem is,
> > > GConf is Firefox's concept of "the OS" on Unix. (they say KDE didn't
> > > help with integration and prefer Konqueror anyway)
> >
> > This is most likely just an excuse.
>
> Dan's reporting something he heard someone say about what some Mozilla
> developer said. I wouldn't put too much stock in it :-).

Right, sorry.
Just wanted to make sure it is understood that this isn't the real reason.

> The fact is that Mozilla's paid developers don't have the energy to
> maintain two X/Linux ports. No volunteers have come forward to maintain a
> Qt port or contribute KDE integration points. So it hasn't happened.

Hmm, I haven't followed it very closely, but IIRC the last time someone tried
they were shut down through bureaucracy.

> I was hoping through the efforts of desktop-architects and others that this
> would be solved at the toolkit level, so a GTK app would just work well in
> a KDE environment and we wouldn't have to write a lot of new code. We still
> seem to be pretty far away from that :-(.

It's not that bad. The desktop infrastructure providers are increasingly
following a service oriented approach (please excuse the buzwword), i.e.
moving functionality, semantics, consistency checking, etc. from libraries
into session "daemons" and keep only "thin" client libraries (which can
easily be replaced in more "native" code).

If course, since at least the two big ones are quite complete, any
consolidation effort will takes some time , e.g. developing migration paths,
temporary dual-interface services, etc.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring