Firefox and mime type handling is gconf specific :-(

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Jul 1 20:11:44 BST 2008

On Tuesday 01 July 2008, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Overheard at work:
> "It looks like Firefox 3 made the decision to query the OS for mime /
> url handling. For instance, if we set the default picasa:// url
> handler in GConf, then Firefox 3 knows what to do. The problem is,
> GConf is Firefox's concept of "the OS" on Unix. (they say KDE didn't
> help with integration and prefer Konqueror anyway)

This is most likely just an excuse.
I am subscribed to kde-devel (KDE general development list), kde-core-devel
(KDE infrastructure/lib development list) and kfm-devel (Konqueror related
development list) and I can't remember anyone posting a related question
there.

> Gaah.  Is there a single underlying mime type database that both gnome and
> kde can refer to?

For MIME type there is, however, as far as I know, it only covers MIME type,
not protocols or concepts (e.g. "preferred terminal")

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring