Dragon Player in kdereview, proposed move into kdemultimedia

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 15:32:10 GMT 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 8:31 AM, Dirk Mueller <mueller at kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday 07 January 2008, Ian Monroe wrote:
>
> > I've just moved Dragon Player into kdereview. Dragon Player is a
> > simple video player, the KDE4 version of Max Howell's Codeine. Thanks
> > to Phonon, it lacks most of the bugs of Codeine. :) But like Codeine
> > it designed to be easy to play movie files and DVDs, with new features
> > designed to all be unobtrusive. It also has a video-playing KPart.
>
> I might be a bit too late with my objection, but what is the reason for adding
> a GPL'ed video player to KDE?
>
> I can't think of anything less useful than that :-( It essentially means that
> we can not play anything with it legally (because of patent relicensing
> clauses).

So I suppose we should remove phonon-xine because its useless too?
Where were your objections then?

Sorry, but not everything in KDE repos can be used by software patent enforcers.

In reality Max Howell and I don't really care about adding a media
codec exemption to Dragon Player. But it's not clear at all to me that
the Qt license exemptions allows that, it mostly looks like it
doesn't. So anyways unless there's some phonon-yauap quackery, Dragon
Player or any other open source Phonon video player is useless to
Novell, Inc.

Ian Monroe