qt-copy patch 0180

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Jan 29 19:23:40 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 29 of January 2008, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 of January 2008, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Just found out today that patch 0180 makes some quasi-BIC changes, one
> > example is that libplasma built against it acquires new symbols.
>
>  How can it? There are no changes in public .h files. What is the problem
> exactly?

 Ah yes, gotta love this:

$ cat qobject_p.h
#ifdef QT3_SUPPORT
    QList<QObject *> pendingChildInsertedEvents;
    void sendPendingChildInsertedEvents();
    void removePendingChildInsertedEvents(QObject *child);
#else
    // preserve binary compatibility with code compiled without Qt 3 support
    QList<QObject *> unused;
#endif

 The real problem seems to be that QtUiTools uses Qt internals such as
QObjectPrivate, and it is a static library, so it gets included into
libplasma, making libplasma depend on Qt internals.

 I don't think that's my fault, but I'll see what I can do about avoiding this
with the #0180 patch.

On Tuesday 29 of January 2008, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Now, I don't mind applying patches that are purely fixes and/or are
> on-track to being upstreamed, but otherwise, it gives me pause.

 And BTW, just in case you don't remember/know why qt-copy/patches was
created, it wasn't for patches that TT likes, but mainly rather the opposite.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz