Output of cmdline progs (was: KDE and the executable bit)

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Mon Jan 28 15:27:08 GMT 2008

Am Montag, 28. Januar 2008 15:54:52 schrieb David Faure:
> Anyway, replying to another post: I'm not sure about asking for
> confirmation before running. We don't do that for executables either, and
> it would be quite annoying in both cases. But maybe we want to execute
> shellscripts inside a konsole so that the user can see its output; I just
> wrote a script for my wife, and it needed a konsole -e wrapper so that she
> could see the output (but a better wrapper would also not automatically
> close the window when the script is done). Making script execution less
> silent would be good. Making it "are you really really sure" might be a bit
> annoying and inconsistent... unless we also do it for executables, and with
> a dontshowagain checkbox.

<disclaimer>I am at work, the following holds at least for KDE3.</disclaimer>

This reminds me of another plan/wish I had in mind in the past:
If you start shell programs using the minicli, you cannot see the output
either (which is especially annoying if there are fatal errors that go
unnoticed) [*].  On the other hand, if you use Ctrl-E in Konqui to start
kpdf/gimp, you get a "useless" stdout view.

IOW: It would be cool if there was a "lazy" output popup, i.e. it would come
up if and only if there was output (on stdout or stderr).  Maybe one would
also have a message box if the command returned an exit code != 0.

Is this impossible to accomplish (/why)?  Or are there non-technical
objections?  (I know it's not easy either.)

* I just noticed that I get the desired behavior for "ls"?!?  OTOH, all other
commands, e.g. "find yxlkjsd" silently fail.

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS