KDE and the executable bit

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Jan 28 15:18:58 GMT 2008

On Monday 28 January 2008, David Faure wrote:
> We are NOT ignoring it!!! This is really the wrong way of describing
> the issue. Ignoring it would mean that we would execute foo.sh files
> even if they don't have +x -- we do NOT do that. We honor the +x bit
> on files where it makes sense.\

I know, see the other mail. :)

> But maybe we want to
> execute shellscripts inside a konsole so that the user can see its
> output; I just wrote a script for my wife, and it needed a konsole -e
> wrapper so that she could see the output (but a better wrapper would
> also not automatically close the window when the script is done).
> Making script execution less silent would be good. Making it "are you
> really really sure" might be a bit annoying and inconsistent...
> unless we also do it for executables, and with a dontshowagain
> checkbox.

An addition: unfortunately not only shell scripts output to stdout, and
not all shellscript are command line apps, as I shown.
So the differentiation is rather between GUI or command line apps, and -
unfortunately - I doubt this is something that can be solved on KDE
level (if it can be at all).

Andras