KDE and the executable bit

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Jan 28 12:21:27 GMT 2008

On Monday 28 January 2008, Chani wrote:
> > don't need root privileges. But I have no visual feedback, maybe I
> > clicked a script that restarts my computer in 5 minute and I have
> > no idea.
>
> or maybe a gullible user clicks a script that 0wns them.
> I see no need to make it any easier for people to be tricked into
> getting malware, especially with programs being ported to windows...

Maybe you missed the fact that KDE *already* executes .sh files on
click. It's not about making it easier at all, as you cannot execute
files unless:
- you make them executable (and the mimetype tells it is executable)
- you associate them with a script interpreter

It is more about consistency, or are GUI file managers different from
the shell?

Andras