KDEREVIEW: nowplaying dataengine and applet for plasma

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Jan 26 01:22:35 GMT 2008

On Saturday 26 January 2008, Alex Merry wrote:
> At Friday 25 January 2008 10:51 pm, you wrote:
> > I can't imagine we still need to have separate implementation for all
> > player...
> >
> > If there is not yet standard multimedia dbus interface for doing this in
> > fd.o, we probably should make it one now.
>
> There is: MPRIS.  Which this dataengine supports.  The design is a little
> daft (three different objects with different methods, but the same
> interface name).

So there is actually no D-Bus interface yet, only the one which looks similar
to a D-Bus interface, i.e the one at
http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/index.php/MPRIS

I strongly recommend to tidy up this mess before basing any work on it you
expect to actually maintain (i.e. before introducting it as a broken de-facto
standard)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring