RFC: move libplasma to kdebase/runtime

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jan 25 16:44:50 GMT 2008

On Friday 25 January 2008, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> libplasma builds completely on Mac OS X (and presumably windows) with
> only the tooltip WindowPreview::previewsAvailable() and
> WindowPreview::setInfo() methods stubbed out.
>
> Would it be possible to include it in kdebase/runtime (or somewhere
> else accessible) for 4.1 since applications are wanting to use plasma
> directly?

technically i don't think it belongs in runtime since it's a build-time
dependency and a library. the goal is to achieve binary compatibility for 4.1
and keep it from there on out.

we have dptrs and all that good stuff, but with WoC and what we're learning
now with the APIs actually getting exercised more and more by different
groups, libplasma is being reworked between 4.0 and 4.1 ...

maybe it belongs in kdelibs, given how many apps are using it. but i can't
guarantee binary compat until we get into betas for 4.1. the plan at that
point is (and always has been, in case you're curious) to maintain binary
compat until KDE5.

so .. i'll leave the final call up to the others.

libplasma itself only depends on stuff in kdelibs. mostly kdecore, but a bit
in kdeui as well.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se