QAbstractItemModel crash bug - Affects ALL models that use (begin/end)Remove(Rows/Column)

Matt Newell newellm at blur.com
Fri Jan 25 03:02:16 GMT 2008

On Thursday 24 January 2008 18:43:29 Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2008, at 10:06 PM, Matt Newell wrote:
> > I just entered a task with trolltech, but in the meantime it would
> > be nice to
> > add this patch to the qt-copy patches so that people aren't suspect
> > of bugs
> > in kde's models when the fault is actually in QAbstractItemModel.
> > From what
> > I can tell, this affects all releasted qt versions > 4.2.2.
>
> What is the Trolltech task #, how did you discover this, or do you
> have a reproduction case?
>
> -Benjamin Meyer

I haven't received the task # yet, seems they have to accept it and send you a
return email.

After more testing I'm pretty sure my patch fixes the problem, the other crash
seems to be unrelated(though likely still a qt bug, since the same version of
my software doesn't crash with qt 4.2.2, and I have over 50 full time users).

I discovered it through lots of printf statements, some unsuccessful valgrind
sessions, lots of time in gdb, and some more time looking through my code and
qt's:)

I have a python(pyqt4) script attached that tests for this case.  It detects
the error before a crash results.  It runs fine every time on qt 4.2.2 or
patched 4.3.3, but errors every time with vanilla 4.3.3.

Matt