Giving up our applications' identity? (was: Re: KDE)

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Wed Jan 16 09:40:58 GMT 2008

Op woensdag 16 januari 2008 10:13 schreef u:
> On Wednesday, 16. January 2008, Tom Albers wrote:
> > Op woensdag 16 januari 2008 01:33 schreef u:
> > > FWIW, inside Kontact, i.e. in the icon sidebar, it makes sense to use
> > > the generic internet-mail icon for the mail component.
> >
> > I disagree for reasons which are not to hard to think of.
>
> I doubt that one would use two different mail applications inside Kontact at
> the same time, or at least that's such an edge case that I would happily
> ignore the differentiation between KMail and Mailody for sidebars.

Yes, *you* would. But helping people on irc for example would include finding out which of the applications is used in kontact. And I expect even more mailclients now that Akonadi is here.

I think it is very important to keep your identity/brand in the sidebar and everywhere.  I just think it's wrong that every calculator has the same icon. I'm not saying that you should make them all, just don't change them to a generic one. In the start menu, I recognise the application mostly by the icon - and I do care which calculator is started ;-). Just mho. But as I don't interfere with artists' work, I will leave it to you.
--
Tom Albers