KDE4Daily Post Mortem

Simon St James simon at etotheipiplusone.com
Sat Jan 12 15:57:13 GMT 2008

Hi all,

The KDE4Daily project ( http://dot.kde.org/1195829316/ ) came to an end
yesterday with the release of KDE 4.0.0, and Julian Seward (of valgrind fame)
was asking me how it fared in its goal of improving the quality of the
KDE4.0.0 release.  Not being a KDE dev, I couldn't really answer that
properly, so I thought I'd ask you (those who have been exposed to it via bug
reports, etc) if you had any opinions.

To re-cap, the KDE4Daily project had the following goals:

1) To provide low(-ish)-bandwidth (binary) daily updates (generally 20-50MB
per day) of an SVN snapshot of a reasonably wide range of KDE modules (
http://etotheipiplusone.com/kde4daily/docs/kde4-modules.txt )

2) To be able to generate useful backtraces, such as this sample:
http://etotheipiplusone.com/kde4daily/docs/konqueror-backtrace-sample.txt

(Note that inclusion of Qt debug info in backtraces was disabled by default
due to high memory usage when loaded into GDB.)

3) To be self-contained and distro and operating system neutral - KDE4Daily
was provided as a Qemu Virtual Image, and the updates were performed from
within the image itself.

Basically, it aimed to be a way of lowering the barrier of entry to people who
want to test KDE and file bugs and also to confirm that bugs claimed to be
fixed in SVN were indeed fixed.

Over its 7-week run, only ~5 daily updates were missed.  The homepage asked
people to mention "kde4daily" in their bug reports, and a simple search
reveals ~54 such bugs:

http://bugs.kde.org/simple_search.cgi?id=kde4daily

Some of these are just "this bug is still occuring in revision 7xxxxxx"; and,
embarrassingly, were actually caused by KDE4Daily itself! The following
weaknesses in the project were uncovered:

1) Backtrace generation was incredibly time-consuming and resource intensive
due to the need to fetch and patch-in up-to-date debug info, which probably
discouraged many testers from generating backtraces.
2) VMs do not provide 3D acceleration/ compositing, so these aspects were not
tested.
3) The usage instructions neglected to detail how to enable sound, so sound
(Phonon, etc) was not tested.
4) Generally, KDE4Daily is a very homogeneous test environment: every
up-to-date install was effectively identical to all others, excepting the
user's personal data/ config files.  Great for reproducing bugs; lousy for
shaking out those little corner cases that only 1 in 100 people will ever
stumble upon.
5) I think many end-users approached the project as a way to satisfy their
curiosity about KDE4.0.0 and to watch it progressing, rather than as a means
to help them file bug reports.

So basically, in light of the false bug reports and drawbacks listed above,
does anyone think it helped/ hindered at all, and would anyone object to it
making a return in the few weeks prior to the release of 4.1.0? An updated
version would probably have a more efficient backtrace generation system (the
current one is much more memory intensive than it needs to be), and will drop
the silly partitioning scheme that has prevented many people from developing
apps inside KDE4Daily due to lack of space - in fact, I might go the whole
hog and make it easy to construct a full KDE4 build environment with
updateable SVN snapshots, as the GNOME guys seem to have done.  I'll also
ensure that a link to the homepage is built into the image this time, so that
people have no excuse for ignoring the "Contact" section and pestering random
people about KDE4Daily in #kde-devel :)

Best Wishes (and congrats on KDE4.0.0!),
Simon

PS I am subscribed to kde-core-devel, so no need to CC me :)