Binary incompatibility issue in JuK saved data

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Tue Jan 8 16:24:33 GMT 2008

Will Stephenson said the following, On 2008-01-08 11:33:

> Not to put down database storage, our database support is excellent, but for
> many uses it's using a hammer to crack a nut, and given the way people are
> taught computing these days, some will be tempted to go for what they know

Of course I like JuK very much; just let me correct a few misconceptions.

> and use a database where a simple binary format is good enough and performs
> better than loading a database library

not if we assume that the library is most likely already loaded into the memory...

 > and a db file and initialising the database and doing a query.

The initialization of this hammer is as simple as calling open(2) and overhead
is equal to writing 30 bytes or so, all handled at a filesystem level==) Next
time you have to read the file, you don't have to load it entirely into the
memory in advance.

What I say is similar to opting for UTF-8 text files instead of keeping dozens
of CP/ISO encodings with all these various converters and autodetection routines.

Common storage format at certain level encourages data and schema sharing,
while custom formats require developing common-intermediate format or protocol
or API+data structures anyway.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek