Binary incompatibility issue in JuK saved data

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Tue Jan 8 10:33:43 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Jaroslaw Staniek said:
> Just a note, not necessary for JuK itself;
> Isn't this a lesson for other projects saving to binary formats that it
> would be safer to eventually migrate to a structured platform independent
> storage like SQLite? (which is now the building block of KDE 4 anyway - in
> strigi, akonadi, koffice, amarok, to name a few).

QDataStream is version independent if you use setVersion.  I assume it's
platform independent too, can someone who knows the truth here confirm that?

Not to put down database storage, our database support is excellent, but for
many uses it's using a hammer to crack a nut, and given the way people are
taught computing these days, some will be tempted to go for what they know
and use a database where a simple binary format is good enough and performs
better than loading a database library and a db file and initialising the
database and doing a query.

Will