kio_giobridge IO slave

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 21:12:01 GMT 2008

On 1/7/08, Leo Savernik <l.savernik at aon.at> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 4. Januar 2008 schrieb Kevin Ottens:
> > IMO it's a candidate for extragear then (or kdeaddons, or kdeutils).
> > Definitely not kdelibs or kdebase.
>
> IMO it'd be better maintained in some gnome-rep. After all, it's replacing
> some KDE core functionality with gnome's. It's of no intrinsic value to KDE.

That's rather rude. If and when GVFS has reached the maturity of KIO,
in say 3 years from now we might consider using it, for the sake of
interoperability. We did that with DBUS as well, right? And much of
KDE 4 is about interoperability.

We could indeed ask for the Gnomes to spend some time ensuring GVFS
can just use the Qt event loop, instead of depending on Glib and
forcing it onto us, though... But I'm not sure if the memory issue
with glib is that huge, didn't arts depend on it as well? And even
with a little extra bloat, KDE 4 kicks the ass out of any competition
anywhere anyway ;-)

Of course, it would've be good if they wouldn't have gone and reinvent
the wheel again and just use KIO... Though I guess there are
technical, and more important social and psychological issues with
using the evil Qt stuff. Did you know it's owned by a company?

(forgive me the sarcasm, please, I think we should end this part of
the discussion and just put it in extragear for now if the dev's are
fine with that)