Dragon Player in kdereview, proposed move into kdemultimedia

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 17:07:13 GMT 2008

I've just moved Dragon Player into kdereview. Dragon Player is a
simple video player, the KDE4 version of Max Howell's Codeine. Thanks
to Phonon, it lacks most of the bugs of Codeine. :) But like Codeine
it designed to be easy to play movie files and DVDs, with new features
designed to all be unobtrusive. It also has a video-playing KPart.

KDE Multimedia currently lacks a video player. As far as I know,
Konqueror does not have a KPart for playing videos either. Dragon
Player would fill this niche for KDE Multimedia in KDE 4.1.

I do plan on making a stable release for KDE 4.0 distros in a month or
so, will this be a problem? There shouldn't be 4.1 changes by then,
I'll just make tarball and accept that there probably won't be too
many translations. Arguably it perhaps should just moved into
extragear and then kdemultimedia later, but this seems unnecessarily
complicated for just one release.

After that releasing with the rest of KDE makes a lot of sense, since
its basically just a little wrapper around Phonon (only ~2500 LOC).

Following http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/SVN_Guidelines I did the following:
*has up-to-date user docs
*2 Krazy errors, one isn't a problem (using QUrl due to Phonon) and
the other relates to Windows so I can't test
*it is completely translatable (at least I think so)

Ian Monroe