kio_giobridge IO slave

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Jan 5 11:10:23 GMT 2008

Vlad Codrea wrote:
>> Since it is an additional/optional IO slave, it can just be
>> deactivated/removed if it causes problems and the usual IO slave
>> will be
>> used.
>
>Not really, because once distros are forced to link QtCore to Glib,
>then all Qt and KDE apps will have to link to Glib and run on Glib's
>non-native and slow event loop.

You missed the point.

If a user is experiencing errors with some ioslaves, the first thing that
would be recommended is to disable the giobridge. That would make KDE
apps use only native ioslaves. If the problem goes away, it's either GIO
or the bridge. If it persists, it's a native ioslave.

In any case, you can disable the Glib event loop by setting QT_NO_GLIB=1
in your environment. This is especially useful if you're valgrinding your
apps, since Qt does free all its memory, but glib2 doesn't.

What's more, in my experience, the glib event loop isn't slower than the
Qt native one. In some network tests, the throughput is even higher. It
seems the problem of it bloating and becoming slow with time is now
history.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358