Problem with ksycoca on windows

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Feb 15 12:50:45 GMT 2008

On Friday 15 February 2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Friday 15 February 2008 13:39:28 David Faure wrote:
> > Using shared memory is an interesting alternative (for unix too), I wonder
> > how portable QSharedMemory is.
>
> QSharedMemory is supported in all Qt platforms and so is QSystemSemaphore. But
> be careful about applications crashing while it's open, since the key may
> never be disposed of (resource leak).

The obvious owner of a ksycoca shared memory would be kded.
It's not supposed to crash, in theory :)
In production kde3 systems kded doesn't crash -- otherwise you lose too many services,
and it doesn't automatically restart itself (I guess it should).

Assuming kded is always running, we wouldn't leak resources if an application merely
using the shared-memory-for-ksycoca (in a readonly way) crashes, right?