Problem with ksycoca on windows

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Feb 15 11:20:00 GMT 2008

On Friday 15 February 2008 12:03:33 Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> > Ouch. This defeats the whole point of a shared mmap'ed file: every
> > process is going
> > to load the entire set of desktop files and mimetypes+servicetypes in
> > memory...
> > The memory consumption will be quite large.
> > With a very small kde4 installation (not all modules etc.) ksycoca4 is
> > 1.6 MB here.
> > 15 kde processes running (that's a very low estimate) => 24 MB.
> > Oh well, if there's no other solution....
>
> There will be another solution (with Qt4.4 and QSharedMemory) when qt-copy
> compiles fine on windows with our emerge scripts (not tested/verified yet).
>  For now I would like to have this patch in ksycoca (maybe with a TODO or
> something similar)

We can also dump our mmap code since QFile has mmap support now in 4.4.

What it doesn't have is advise functions. If those are required by KDE, then
we can't dump our native code. That's in my to-do list for Qt 4.5.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358