Information about KCron

Tue Feb 12 09:20:24 GMT 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 1:54 PM, Nicolas Ternisien <nicolas.ternisien at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to know more about the actual status of KCron.
> After a little review of it, it seems to be quite powerful, but some
> little things could be improved.

I did not even know it existed. Neat :)

> 2/ Does the Save button is really useful ? I think it should be easier
> if the modification are auto-applied, but could be still canceled by
> an Undo action (Ctrl+Z)

Personally, I always hated how regedit would implicitly save everything
that was changed. I often create sets of settings which I want to commit
in one go. Also, I often play around and, unless I am certain I want to
commit my changes, just exit and re-enter to do it right, this time.

This is especially true as wrong crontabs have the potential to break
stuff.

> 3/ I think the environment variables and the tasks should be totally
> separated in two different list, and the main one could be the tasks
> list, of course, because this is the main role of KCron.

Agreed.

> 4/ You have already work on KCron, so I suppose you already thought
> about the manner of displaying the next launching date. I don't know
> if it will be hard to use the calendar widget or something like that
> to graphically display this info. Don't hesitate to inform me about
> ideas who had to implement this.

Actually, you might even want to think about a way to export selected
tasks into KDE PIM. Especially with backup tasks, that would be _hugely_
useful. You could even go as far as reminding the user to enter a DVD-R,
plug in an USB device, connect to the VPN, whatever, for those tasks.

> 5/ Finally, I also think that the crontab -e description of start
> times should also appear to ensure people who already knows the
> crontab syntax.

Yes.

> Thanks for reading this mail.

No, thank you for working on this :)