App config changes affecting kdeglobals (Re: KDE/kdebase/workspace/kwin)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Feb 5 15:25:03 GMT 2008

On Friday 01 of February 2008, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> SVN commit 769617 by ervin:
>
> Don't use the global config for the rules config.
> kdeglobals is not supposed to store such rules, and this way
> we don't empty kdeglobals when KWin quits.
>
> Lubos: Ossi confirmed me it was the right move in the way we
> use KConfig here, so I committed directly. In case of problem
> just tell me.

 While this KWin change is right, since there's no need to use kdeglobals when
writing KWin rules, I still see this as a KConfig bug and a regression from
KDE3. A dangerous feature without real purpose, at best. Since I can
explicitly say I really want to write to kdeglobals when I want to do so,
what exactly is the point of doing this automatically, other than having
kdeglobals again nuked by something?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz