Stupid questions about debugging kde apps

Marc Espie espie at nerim.net
Sun Feb 3 13:31:08 GMT 2008

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 02:04:49PM +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> The application for any ioslave is kdeinit4 or kioslave. Depends on how
> the process was launched. You can tell that by looking in the /proc
> structure for the process (don't tell me that information isn't easily
> accessible on the BSDs because that would be a stupid decision on the
> kernel developers).

One misconception: you really, really cannot bundle the BSDs together
here. This is one area where things are *widely* different.

I know that, from outside, things may look the same. But we really are
three distinct OSes, with more important differences than, say, between
gentoo and debian (but less important than between linux and solaris,
probably).

For instance, on OpenBSD, we do have access to this kind of information
through various tools (otherwise, top would not work), but we do not have
/proc at all. This is an important point for us: /proc is highly dynamic
code, full of issues and race conditions, and we believe in making things
secure and simple.

Otherwise, thanks! I'll see about updating DEBUG at some point in the near
future...