New KMessageBox Style

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 17:52:24 GMT 2008

On Saturday 02 February 2008 17:52:32 Alexander Dymo wrote:
> Sorry, but I also think that icons served the primary role in those dialogs
> making it immediately obvious what happened. People tend to not read
> messages and without vivid exclamation/error marks, they will not get any
> warning at all.
>
> > http://home.fwo.ch/~urs/temp/kmessagebox_info.png
> > http://home.fwo.ch/~urs/temp/kmessagebox_warning.png
> > http://home.fwo.ch/~urs/temp/kmessagebox_list.png
>
> What was the original idea behind this change? To make messagebox smaller?
> If so we can get rid of triangles in them and just draw the opaque and
> vivid "i" and "!" signs. But I'm not sure what to do with the "error" sign
> in this case.
>
> > http://home.fwo.ch/~urs/temp/kmessagebox_error.png

Sorry, but I too think this is not a step in the right direction.
The dialog may look good as it is, but is it better for usability?

The icon is there for a reason -- to quickly categorize what the message is
about. if it's just a watermark, it's less effective.

I think there are a few more issue to address before it can be taken in
consideration...

- What happens when someone selects a different icon theme? The icon may
  show up more or less than the oxygen one. With something like the
  monochrome icon set, the background may show up too much.

- What about accessibility, or high contrast themes? How does the dialogs
  look with something other than the oxygen style, would it work as well?
  would it work with dark color schemes?

Luciano