what packages do we want distros to ship ?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Dec 23 10:33:49 GMT 2008

On 23.12.08 08:00:30, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 December 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > kdebase should probably be split into:
> >
> > * runtime; there's no point in having only part of this. the whole idea is
> > that these are the things apps must be able to rely on being there.
> >
> > * workspace; maybe a libs+apps split, but this again makes most sense to me
> > as an atomic unit
>
> I agree here too. The thing is, Gentoo wants to package (and build and
> install) each lib from workspace separately, and supporting this would
> require some work from the cmake side, where I'm not sure it makes a lot of
> sense.

What about "who does the work decides", so if Gentoo absolutely wants to
break workspace into pieces its them who does the work. Sure if they submit
the patches to kde-buildsystem and the patches are ok we can merge them
into the repository.

However to me logically it doesn't make sense to split up workspace and I
doubt there are many users out there that want only part of workspace
installed - unless you don't run a KDE desktop. But if you need something
from workspace outside a KDE desktop its probably in the wrong place
anyway.

Andreas

--
You will be reincarnated as a toad; and you will be much happier.