Closing program gracefully on receiving signal & version control on config files.

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Dec 13 17:00:49 GMT 2008

Gunter Schelfhout wrote:
>Wouldn't it be a good thing that any program which has an open file in a
>dirty state to close gracefully upon receiving a certain and well
> documented signal?
>Kspread, Kword, Kate, or any other program should then save the file to
> a default destination directory and set an option so the program knows
> upon next start that there was a saving of the document after receiving
> a signal and closing the application. (dirty bit/option)

We already have KAutoSave file, which is written so that, at next startup,
the program will notice that there were unsaved changes. Obviously, it's
up to each application to write the code to support that.

However, none of those applications react to signals. We could do that via
D-Bus for instance, including properly saving the file if that's what you
wanted, or discard completely.

So I don't think Unix signals are the best option.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358