Res: kdereview exemption for PolicyKit-KDE

Trever Fischer wm161 at wm161.net
Mon Dec 8 15:48:05 GMT 2008

On Monday 08 December 2008 10:22:35 am Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Monday 08 December 2008 15:59:46 dantti85-dev at yahoo.com.br wrote:
> > Ok, so i'm here to ask to put it into KDEReview,
> > there are a few things missing:
> > - Some fixes in authorization Model
> >   This includes a better function to grab an
> >   index for a given action string.
> > - Fix some leaks in the manager
> > - Add a config for preferences of manager
> > - Fix a bug (no crash), because QSocketNotifier
> >   emits too many changes.
>
> How do you plan to test this on all of the platforms that KDE4 supports?
> How will you deal with platforms that do not have policykit at all right
> now? Is there space in the schedule to do that or will we end up with lots
> of #ifdefs masking two totally separate codebases?
Which platforms don't have PolicyKit yet? Except for windows and mac, I was
under the impression that everyone had access to it in some way. At any rate,
a PolicyKit library for windows would likely return 'authenticated' for
everything and leave the actual authentication up to the OS (which would end
up automatically using Vista's UAC for instance).

Regardless, very few if any applications in KDE use PolicyKit right now. We
aren't asking to include a new library for everyone to suddenly start using,
just the policy management GUI bits to encourage future use of PolicyKit in
KDE.