Time zone translations (TIMEZONES file)

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Sat Dec 6 19:34:01 GMT 2008

> [: David Jarvie :]
> Judging by the small number of updates to the TIMEZONES file over the
> years, it looks as if it must be manually generated somebody notices that
> zone.tab has changed.

I did exactly this once, some time ago and in a haste, as I haven't had time
to look into it more thoroughly...

> Can one of the updaters say, how is it generated?

Last time I did it by a cat | grep | awk | ... sausage, but this is not
really sufficient, especially if timezone comments go in too.

So now I committed the script scoop-tzones.py (into same directory with
TIMEZONES file), which should be periodically run to add any new timezones
(and comments). It looks as if it does more parsing and processing than
necessary, but it's in order to not loose any old information and to keep
messages in good order when extracted.

The question that remains is who, when and on which zone.tab is to run the
script... (Running the script now on my machine resulted in 184 new messages
for translation.)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)