Help a mate: an extremely strange bug on GCC/ld ?

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Sat Dec 6 15:50:31 GMT 2008

Le samedi 6 décembre 2008, koos vriezen a écrit :
> 2008/12/6 Olivier Goffart <ogoffart at kde.org>:
> > Reimplementing an existing virtual method is fine if you can accept that
> > it is not called if the program reimplementing the class is not
> > re-compiled (i.e, if the feaure added in that implementation is
> > optional.)
>
> Huh, isn't that true for every source code that isn't compiled, ie.
> please explain.
>
> Koos

For this explanation, i assume you know what a virtual table is
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_table)

Let's suppose you have the class DolphinListView, which inherit from
KCategorizedView which itself inherit from QListView

In KDE 4.1, KCategorizedView doesn't reimplement the virtual function
rowsAboutToBeRemoved.  So DolphinListView's virtual table points to
QListView::rowsAboutToBeRemoved

Now, in KDE 4.2,  KCategorizedView::rowsAboutToBeRemoved is reimplemented,
but if dolphin is not compiled, DolphinListView's virtual table doesn't
change and still points to QListView::rowsAboutToBeRemoved

That means that KCategorizedView::rowsAboutToBeRemoved will not be called for
any call to this function.
That's ok if the code in the new KCategorizedView::rowsAboutToBeRemoved is
just a bugfix or a new feature optional feature.  But this is not ok if some
other code in other function of KCategorizedView relies on the fact that
KCategorizedView::rowsAboutToBeRemoved should have been called.

I hope this answer the question.

(Note that I was wrong regarding the slot thing, since
KCategorizedView::qt_metacall will lookup in the virtual table wrong
information as well.)