Help a mate: an extremely strange bug on GCC/ld ?

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Sat Dec 6 13:43:54 GMT 2008

Le vendredi 5 décembre 2008, David Faure a écrit :
> On Friday 05 December 2008, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Found out the problem. I wasn't able to recompile kdebase (I was trying
> > with Dolphin my changes) since I was having the Kdepimlibs.cmake fail.
> > After recompiling everything goes smooth.
> >
> > It seems I had some binary incompatible changes. For some reason it was
> > linking nicely, but later the code wasn't doing what expected.
>
> Yes, adding new virtual methods to KCategorizedView is binary incompatible.
>
> Adding rowsAboutToBeRemoved is fine, but check if you added anything else
> that wasn't in a base class already...

Reimplementing an existing virtual method is fine if you can accept that it is
not called if the program reimplementing the class is not re-compiled
(i.e, if the feaure added in that implementation is optional.)

But you can make it a slot to solve this issue, because slot connections are
always virtuals.
(Assuming the slot is called from a signal and not from a dirrect C++ call to
the slot)