Getting full path to a dynamic library?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Dec 3 16:32:26 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 03 December 2008 16:42:57 Sebastian Trueg wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 December 2008 13:37:10 Sebastian Trueg wrote:
> >> As far as I can tell QLibrary only gives us the filename of a
> >> dynamically loaded library. However, I need to determine the full path
> >> for usage in ODBC. Does anyone know how to determine that in a platform
> >> independent manner?
> >
> > Sorry, what?
> >
> > Are you talking about QLibrary::fileName() ?
> >
> :)
>
> well, an example. I need the full path "/usr/local/lib64/virtodbc.so"
> and all I know is the name of the lib, ie. "virtodbc". Now QLibrary can
> find the lib AFAIK using the dynmic linker:
>
> QLibrary lib( "virtodbc" );
> lib.load();
>
> now the lib can be used. Thus, the path to the lib file has to be
> available somewhere. However, the documentation of QLibrary states that
> fileName will only return "virtodbc.so" without the dir path.

It returns whatever succeeded in dlopen().

Since the full path was found by libdl itself, not QLibrary, it has no way of
knowing the path either.

Why do you need the full path? dlopen("virtodbc.so") works just fine.

  Senior Software Engineer - Nokia, Qt Software
  Qt Software is hiring - ask me
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358