Color issues on KMultiTabBarTab, KUrl(Navigator)Button and KCapacityBar

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at kde.org
Sat Aug 30 15:54:06 BST 2008

Hi,

> KCapacityBar
> -----------------
> problem(s):
> 1) the widget uses QPalette::HighlightedText to create the gloss, i.e.
> assumes QPalette::HighlightedText is either Qt::white or at least very
> bright - otherwise the result (e.g. QPalette::HighlightedText == Qt::black)
> looks err... interesting.
> 2) the gloss turns that bright in the upper region that the text will be
> unreadable as long as QPalett::WindowText isn't dark (i.e. Qt:black)
> 3) the text can also become unreadable if the assumption
> QPalette::Highlight contrasts QPalette::WindowText does NOT hold (e.g. dark
> blue and dark grey, black and black etc.)
>
> solution:
> use the style and/or:
> 1) use Qt::white to form the gloss
> 2) + 3) brighten the lower part and hardcode the fontcolor to Qt::white

I don't think hard coded colors are doing any good anywhere. I actually think
hard coded values should just be avoided everywhere.

What it assumes is that HighlightedText will contrast with Window, what I
think is acceptable.

I will not accept any patch that will try to set a hard coded value to any of
the widget settings. However, I would accept a patch that with some logic
makes this work all right in all cases.

If you can provide me a color scheme that is causing problems I will be very
happy of trying to trigger this issue down.

Regards,
Rafael Fernández López.