Making kwallet more secure

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Aug 23 22:08:59 BST 2008

Michael Leupold wrote:
>To my understanding it's not cross-platform because dbus-win uses tcp/ip
>instead of named pipes as transport (and that there's some problems
> leading to them using that one). Right?

No. Even with named pipes you can't get that info on Windows.

>Could you please explain in which circumstances retrieving the PID might
> not work? Unfortunately information on it is pretty sparse.

Getting the PID of the other side of a Unix socket is an extension
called "peer credentials" (PEERCRED). I am not sure POSIX mandates that
extension. So it's not a cross-platform feature.

In any case, the D-Bus session bus could be running on TCP/IP even on
Linux. It doesn't have to be Windows.

Finally, D-Bus could also be running on a platform where there's no
concept of PID. KDE probably won't run there, but nonetheless it's
possible for D-Bus.

Anyways, with a PID, the only cross-platform thing that you can do is send
a signal using kill(2). That's POSIX. Anything else --including obtaining
the path of the executable-- is not cross-platform, even to other Unix
(Solaris, BSDs, MacOS X, where we do run). I wouldn't be surprised to
find out some hardened security extensions to Linux also blocking that
information.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358