Resurrecting KMilo?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Aug 20 16:36:25 BST 2008

On Wednesday 20 of August 2008, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > There's no need for a separate application, kmix is best places to
> > handle volume keys.  Here's a patch which adds support for them to it.
> >
> > http://www.kubuntu.org/~jriddell/tmp/kubuntu_02_kmix_keyboard_shortcuts.d
> >iff
> >
> > Supporting the various ways laptops present these keys to Linux really
> > isn't KDE's job to fix, it should be done lower down,
> > e.g. thinkpad-buttons and HAL.

 Right. We already have applications for that and they can handle shortcuts.
If some special keys don't work, it's not really our fault, but if somebody
feels like adding a workaround, it'd be nice if that workaround just worked
around just the problem and not also the whole functionality, like KMilo did.

> To notify the user of other laptop information like brightness or
> backlight would require writing another application running in the
> background. Or it could be implemented as a kded module. What would be
> best?

 A simple kded module notifying about it seems the best. And simplest.

> Your patch implements the osd in KMix. I think it would be useful to add
> is to have some osd features to kdelibs so that all apps willing to show
> osd-like info (volume settings, brightness, backlight, current track...)
> can do so in a consistent way.

 KNotify. Would you believe we've had it since at least KDE2.0? It never
ceases to amaze me how everybody tries to reinvent the wheel instead of
simply using what's already there (possibly improving it a bit if needed).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz