Resurrecting KMilo?

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Wed Aug 20 15:22:38 BST 2008

Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> There's no need for a separate application, kmix is best places to
> handle volume keys.  Here's a patch which adds support for them to it.
>
> http://www.kubuntu.org/~jriddell/tmp/kubuntu_02_kmix_keyboard_shortcuts.diff
>
> Supporting the various ways laptops present these keys to Linux really
> isn't KDE's job to fix, it should be done lower down,
> e.g. thinkpad-buttons and HAL.

Hum... indeed that's a much simpler approach :) the only drawback is
that it requires KMix to be started at session startup, but it sounds
sensible to do so IMHO.

To notify the user of other laptop information like brightness or
backlight would require writing another application running in the
background. Or it could be implemented as a kded module. What would be best?

Your patch implements the osd in KMix. I think it would be useful to add
is to have some osd features to kdelibs so that all apps willing to show
osd-like info (volume settings, brightness, backlight, current track...)
can do so in a consistent way.

Aurélien