JPEG Thumbnailer

Andre Gemünd scroogie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 18:07:37 BST 2008

Michael Pyne schrieb:

> Actually it's easier than that:
>
> On an opened QFile you can use QFile::handle() to return the file
> descriptor (i.e. what is passed to write(2)). Using the file
> descriptior you can use the C stdio fdopen() function to return a
> FILE* tied to that file descriptor.
>
> This way you can still use stdio functions on a file managed by QFile.
>
> All that this would really buy you is guaranteeing that the file gets
> closed, which may not be worth the overhead however if you're simply
> going to be passing the FILE* to libjpeg.
>
> Regards,

Hi Michael,
thanks a lot for you explanation. As I said, I'm not very experienced
with Qt/KDE programming yet, so your input is very appreciated.
How much overhead are we talking about? We are opening all jpeg files of
a directory which can be a lot at times, and apply a not-so-costly
operation, so we should take this into consideration. And you are right,
I just pass the FILE* to libjpeg and close it after
jpeg_finish_decompress(), so it doesn't seem very sensible to open it
twice (QFile and fdopen).

Greetings
André