Policy on binary compatibility in kdesupport?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Aug 13 14:22:24 BST 2008

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>On 13.08.08 14:16:07, Sebastian Trüg wrote:
>> The problem is simple: I want to introduce transactions into Soprano.
>> That will break BC since it introduces new virtual methods.
>> Now normally I would go about this by releasing Soprano 3 and
>> increasing the lib version.
>> However, I don't know what the policy is here. Is this allowed at all?
>> Or does kdesupport need to stay binary compatible until KDE 5?
>
>AFAIK kdesupport is just a convenience place to host libraries we depend
>on. Which means you can do whatever you want as long as you play by the
>rules (i.e. SOVERSION increase on BC changes).

And the users of your code will have to upgrade their minimum requirements
or detect the newer version and not compile.

Also note that KDE code shouldn't be using the Soprano API directly, then.
There should be a wrapper library in kdelibs if that's necessary.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358