Qt SVG renderer

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Aug 6 18:43:32 BST 2008

On Wednesday 06 August 2008, Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> > Yes, I actually have thought several times about this. How could the svg
> > renderer on webkit help us ? Would be a doable (easy) way of stripping
> > all the css + js things, just letting the part that is important for us
> > and introducing it into kdelibs ?
>
> Why would you want to simplify the lib and put it in kdelibs? You can
> just use QtWebKit as is. For an example, check out:
> http://ariya.blogspot.com/2008/08/svg-to-png-using-qtwebkit.html

of course, since QSvgRenderer also renders the tiger just fine, this is not a
useful example.

from the Plasma perspective, we also don't particularly have need for access
to the DOM or scriptablity right now (though i'm sure we could find (ab)uses
for them without too much trouble ;)

as you note in your blog, things like blur are not implemented in QtWebkit's
SVG renderer either. so we're right back to asking, "when?"

obviously the answer is "sooner than QSvgRenderer will" but that is still a
bit vague.

it also doesn't help at all with the performance (both speed and memory
overhead) question.

and i'm particularly unimpressed that we'll end up having to build up a set of
API for what is really simple now (e.g. elementRect("anObjectid")) based on
JavaScript right now (!!) and *eventualy* DOM (only minorly less "!!").
thankfully we wrapped QSvgRenderer in Plasma::SVG so we can indeed do this
kind of thing without breaking any SVG usage in Plasma, but still .. uck.

for Plasma to switch renderers, i'd really have to have a bettter idea of
performance and development timelines. otherwise it'll continue to be a "wait
and see" issue without us doing anything different on this front.

having a coherent plan for vector graphics may be something that the Qt
Software engineering team would like to consider prioritizing and sharing with
their downstream. it's only going to become an increasingly important area in
the user interface side of life (and not just limited to SVG, of course) ..

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se