Qt SVG renderer

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Wed Aug 6 17:21:04 BST 2008

>> Yes, I actually have thought several times about this. How could the svg
>> renderer on webkit help us ? Would be a doable (easy) way of stripping all the
>> css + js things, just letting the part that is important for us and
>> introducing it into kdelibs ?
>
> Why would you want to simplify the lib and put it in kdelibs? You can
> just use QtWebKit as is. For an example, check out:
> http://ariya.blogspot.com/2008/08/svg-to-png-using-qtwebkit.html
>
> I use the mentioned svg2png to render the Oxygen icons. There are some
> failures because of missing width/height, will have a look on those
> cases.

Rendering icons is not the only usage of SVG inside KDE, of course. In
games and edu we are using the whole QtSVG API, including getting the
bounds of elements, selectively rendering only portions of it, etc
Maybe it is all easily portable to the webkit renderer, with roughly the
same speed. This is something we can test during the Akademy coding
week. However, if it is not the case, I really think the best solution
would be to improve QtSVG, which already has the perfect API, to simply
handle the files it is not handling correctly right now, up to a
reasonable portion of the spec. I would like to avoid a change of API
and engine if at all possible, specially in the middle of a stable 4.x
series. Between having no control over QtSVG development schedule and
priorities and having no control over WebKit I think the former is
preferrable, as we have good contacts and are already using it. I would
prefer to educate artists on which features are not supported instead of
having to rewrite SVG rendering code for all games.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini