drkonqi and backtrace analysis

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Aug 5 15:00:06 BST 2008

On Tuesday 05 of August 2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 August 2008 12:35:01 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > On Monday 04 of August 2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > On Monday 04 August 2008 12:54:27 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > I'd say:
> > > 1) no new features in the 4.1 branch; backport the fixes, but not the
> > > feature or the new i18n
> >
> >  Well, I know this general rule, and that's why I asked. If I don't
> > backport anything, we get even more reports with useless info. If I
> > backport only the fixes, we will get bugreports even without it, just
> > with complaints that drkonqi doesn't let them save the backtrace and that
> > they don't know what to do. No big difference. Ok, we now have a
> > bugsquad, but I still don't see why not help them a little.
>
> How about showing the backtrace if the user really wants it? Append to the
> report, after the warning that it seems to be useless.

 That's still backporting a feature and i18n.

> > > 2) how are you accomplishing this detection? Are you using the fact
> > > that gdb says you should install more debuginfo packages?
> >
> >  Does it? Where?
>
> $ gdb --pid `pidof plasma`
> Missing debug package(s), you should install: OpenEXR-debug bzip2-debug
> dbus- debug fontconfig-debug freetype2-debug gamin-debug gcc-debug
> glib2.0-debug ilmbase-debug jasper-debug lcms-debug libice-debug
> libjpeg-debug libmng-debug libpng-debug libsm-debug libtiff-debug
> libx11-debug libxau-debug libxcb-debug libxcomposite-debug libxcursor-debug
> libxdmcp-debug libxext-debug libxfixes- debug libxft-debug libxi-debug
> libxinerama-debug libxml2-debug libxpm-debug libxrandr-debug
> libxrender-debug libxtst-debug mesa-debug pcre-debug sqlite3- debug
> zlib-debug
> (gdb)
>
> I have no idea how gdb comes up with that list.

 I can guess, and that guess has 'Mandriva' in it somewhere. I expect anything
related to debug packages be pretty distro specific.

> >  It normally analyzes the output from gdb and guesses from the backtrace.
> > See BackTraceGdb::checkUsefulBacktrace().
>
> All it has to do is call installdebuginfo with the information from gdb.
> There's no need to guess anything.

 Given that this started with

me: ... detection whether a backtrace is or is not useless ...
you:how are you accomplishing this detection?

I can only follow up with "??????".

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz